What's new

What part of the game is this?

White Wolf

Reaction score
I've observed this one pilot employ an unusual and practically impossible technique to defend against and I'd like to get some feedback from other players or even the game masters/designers on whether this should be allowed or even possible. The player will squad with someone who is white that he can land on. The squad leader will go near an enemy or group of enemies who can't shoot him because he isn't in Pirate Mode. Then the player in orbit will land while red, drop a strong orbital strike on an enemy and immediately orbit. This is repeated until the enemy is dead and with a strong orbital strike it often takes only one shot. The white squad leader just follows the enemy reds and the red in orbit keeps diving on the enemies. Sometimes you can fire on the "dive-bomber" but it doesn't stop them from orbiting. A taunt doesn't work either. Apparently this person can somehow work the tab for target, hit the os and hold down the f5 key so that he never enters into combat mode but is still able to deliver a lethal blow to enemies.
Should this type of play be allowed or even possible on a game like Pirate Galaxy? All's fair in pvp I'd say but if you're using some glitch that makes it possible for you to kill others without any chance that they might kill you it isn't really pvp. Doesn't seem right to me but I'd like to see what you think.

White Wolf

Reaction score
A friend of mine showed me a video which he posted on you tube that demonstrates the technique I'm describing here so I thought I'd post the link so you can actually see what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnpHcNbKlU&feature=youtu.be

Joe-Bob

Reaction score
alpha3, if you don't have anything to contribute, please stop commenting/asking questions in the wrong place. Try in-game or in a different part of the forums for these questions.

Back to the topic at hand, I have witnessed this first hand, specifically from Yellowbeard, as seen in the link provided by White Wolf. I have seen him do this on many occasions on various planets throughout the game. I have a Dominator and even when I taunt him, he is still able to escape to orbit, even though it puts me in combat mode. In the video, you can also see that the blaster shot (whether it misses or not) will put BOTH players in combat mode, yet somehow Yellowbeard is able to orbit. In the video, if you skip to 1:12, you can see that the player recording is already in combat mode before Yellowbeard starts to go to orbit. Apart from that, the Aggrobomb by the another player went off before the blaster shots made it to the target, so even if there is a shadow of a doubt that the blaster shots didn't make it in time (even though he was already in combat) the aggrobomb (which doesn't miss and he was well in range of it) still didn't register/keep Yellowbeard from orbitting.

In most cases, this player will do what is seen in the second part of the video (land red, be briefly shot/taunted/etc and then orbit) and in combination with that, he will be able to target/tab-scan a target, activate the Orbital Strike and still be able to orbit. This allows him to land from orbit, attack/kill people and then escape to orbit, meanwhile other players shoot, taunt, aggrobomb, attack him but he is able to do all of this and get back to orbit as if nothing happened. It is the definition of cheating, as there is literally no way to combat this but to move away from where ever he lands, be it at the lz or on a squad leader.

Obitus

Reaction score
I think the solution is to not sit in lz and wait for people to land red. If you wait, say....oh--ten feet away from lz, you are out of range of an immediate OS and you have enough time to secure a shot and keep the said pilot in red. The part of the game is called PVP by the way, White Wolf. We call it PVP.

Joe-Bob

Reaction score
Obitus said:
I think the solution is to not sit in lz and wait for people to land red. If you wait, say....oh--ten feet away from lz, you are out of range of an immediate OS and you have enough time to secure a shot and keep the said pilot in red. The part of the game is called PVP by the way, White Wolf. We call it PVP.
Three things:

1. You're completely missing the point. Regardless of where the other pilots happen to be, he is using this glitch/cheat to kill other players whilst being completely invulnerable. This is a player being able to kill you without you being able to fight back in any way possible, which is NOT part of the game and is NOT intended/fair gameplay. "PVP" stands for Player vs. Player, meaning both sides being able to fight eachother, not just one side >essentially< killing a player from orbit.

2. The problem doesn't exist only in the LZ. In multiple cases, he will join a squad and the squad leader (not in red) will follow a red player around the planet and when Yellowbeard lands and does this cheat/glitch, there's nothing that player can do to stop them or fight back in any way. (Aside from activating a shield/protector and hoping that the cooldown will finish before he decides to land again, which you honestly can't even count.)

Obitus wrote:
and you have enough time to secure a shot and keep the said pilot in red.
This would be true if not for what ever glitch/cheat he's using. As I said, even taunts and thermos don't keep him on the planet. I've taunted him personally and seen several other tank pilots taunt him and he will orbit with the taunt on. I've also seen him orbit on fire from thermo-blasts.

But let 's just say we're ALL (several dozen people who have seen him do this) crazy and weren't able to hit him before he orbitted, (even as he's orbitted with thermo-blasts, taunts, etc) just for a second let's say we didn't hit him.....tell me, how is he able to land, target a player, activate an OS and then go back to orbit all before the game ever registers him as being on the planet and able to target/land a shot? Furthermore, explain to me how this would be considered "fair/intended" gameplay/pvp?

Obitus

Reaction score
Good points. I'm not so arrogant that I won't admit to your logic. However, the OS itself is not the cheat/hack. And there is not bot or code being run to make it behave the way it does. Anyone can do this--try it with a friend. The easiest way to fix this is
  • Complain to Devs
  • Be careful where you go/fly red
  • Be smart about going red
At the end of the day, whether or not we agree with it, red means dead. Find a way to avoid this "maneuver".

Joe-Bob

Reaction score
Obitus said:
However, the OS itself is not the cheat/hack.
No one here has implied that there' s a problem with the OS. That is not the issue here.

Obitus said:
Anyone can do this--try it with a friend.
Could you elaborate? How exactly can you land, os and orbit before the other person targets and/or shoots back? In some cases, the player "dive-bombing" is unable to be selected and doesn't show up on the targets list at all during this time. Could you post a video of someone doing it to show us that "anyone can do it" within normal parameters or the game?

Obitus said:
The easiest way to fix this is
  • Complain to Devs
(...) Find a way to avoid this "maneuver".
How do you propose we "find a way to avoid this" if there are players in white following someone in red and having someone waiting in orbit to land and do this glitch/cheat where they can't be touched but can kill you with 1 OS in most cases? If you have an idea for ways to combat this (since taunts, shooting, thermos, etc doesn't work) please, share your thoughts as to how we should "avoid" this or how we can fight back against this. Being careful where we go red has nothing to do with it, because any other player can follow you anywhere you go...Red = Dead also has nothing to do with it if one player isn't able to damage the other because they are continuously escaping to orbit even after being shot/put into combat mode.

WRAITH1

Reaction score
ssg has never bothered much with pvp even if the game name implies pvp...pvp in pg is flawed in multiple ways (if u can even call it pvp)...imo not the "users" fault but the creator of the faulty product so write tickets to ssg maybe someone will read them.

Obitus

Reaction score
WRAITH1 said:
ssg has never bothered much with pvp even if the game name implies pvp...pvp in pg is flawed in multiple ways (if u can even call it pvp)...imo not the "users" fault but the creator of the faulty product so write tickets to ssg maybe someone will read them.
Nicely said--we agree for once. Joe: I will post a video tomorrow because I have some work to do tonight hi esstencialy, the pilot lands and presses the tab or end key to auto select the nearest mantis or pilot. Once selected, the pilot drops an OS and orbits. This of course has to be done in rapid succession to work--and if there is no pilot or mantis, the pilot will drift towards the nearest targetable item until he presses orbit or another key.

Joe-Bob

Reaction score
Obitus, thank you, I look forward to it...and what about the 3rd part of my last comment as to how to fight against it as well as whether or not it should be possible, considering other players are unable to shoot back (and when they are able to, the other pilot is still able to orbit) when this is done? How would this be considered fair/intended gameplay?

WRAITH1

Reaction score
u dont even need skills nowadays of fast reflexes as most gameer mice are programable with macro software so even a noob can press 1 key and let it execute all of the above mentined commands.

Obitus

Reaction score
Joe-Bob said:
Obitus, thank you, I look forward to it...and what about the 3rd part of my last comment as to how to fight against it as well as whether or not it should be possible, considering other players are unable to shoot back (and when they are able to, the other pilot is still able to orbit) when this is done? How would this be considered fair/intended gameplay?
There is no way to fight against it other then orbiting before the OS goes off. It is possible to orbit before the OS goes off as long as you don't shoot at the pilot. Once you shoot at the pilot, whether it hits or not, you are entered into combat mode which is why this tactic succeeds. I might have to post it tomorrow because when I'm usually on...SERVER MAINTENANCE. Cheers

Joe-Bob

Reaction score
Obitus said:
There is no way to fight against it other then orbiting before the OS goes off. It is possible to orbit before the OS goes off as long as you don't shoot at the pilot.
This may be what you consider fair/intended gameplay, but I doubt this is what SSG intended. It seems very unlikely that they would purposely make it possible for a player in orbit to land (on lz or squad lead), drop an os and get back to orbit unscathed even if shot at/taunted.

Having two people on the planet and one dropping an OS and orbitting before it goes off is one thing, but for the other player to not be able to hit them/keep them in combat mode at all while they continue to do this "dive-bombing" is highly unlikely to be the way they intended players to "fight" eachother. What if the player is in combat with mantis or another player and isn't able to orbit? Even if he is able to orbit, if he lands again he will just have to escape the lz (with no way to fight back) before the "dive-bomber" lands again, and just hope he doesn't decide to join a squad whos leader will follow him around in white so that the "dive-bomber" will always land in range of said player.

Obitus

Reaction score
Joe-Bob said:
Obitus said:
There is no way to fight against it other then orbiting before the OS goes off. It is possible to orbit before the OS goes off as long as you don't shoot at the pilot.
This may be what you consider fair/intended gameplay, but I doubt this is what SSG intended. It seems very unlikely that they would purposely make it possible for a player in orbit to land (on lz or squad lead), drop an os and get back to orbit unscathed even if shot at/taunted.

Having two people on the planet and one dropping an OS and orbitting before it goes off is one thing, but for the other player to not be able to hit them/keep them in combat mode at all while they continue to do this "dive-bombing" is highly unlikely to be the way they intended players to "fight" eachother. What if the player is in combat with mantis or another player and isn't able to orbit? Even if he is able to orbit, if he lands again he will just have to escape the lz (with no way to fight back) before the "dive-bomber" lands again, and just hope he doesn't decide to join a squad whos leader will follow him around in white so that the "dive-bomber" will always land in range of said player.
What is fair is not always right and what is right is not always just.

You can escape an OS regardless if you are in combat or not by simple AB'ing (after burner) out of the OS range. You can practice doing this with signors, khons, gizas, and keops.

Obitus

Reaction score
A poor quality video but it describes how a pilot--even with one hand--can use the OS glitch.

https://vimeo.com/85967692

EDIT: The video will take 40 minutes from posting to upload because I am a free user on Vimeo. It was also recorded from my phone so the quality sucks but it is succinct enough to show that even with one hand, ANYBODY can employ this "trick".

Joe-Bob

Reaction score
What happened in the video was not what I was talking about at all. In the time you took to land/target the player, there was plenty of time for another player to target/shoot you. This was not the case, as you can see if you compare your video to the one posted previously.
I stated before "Having two people on the planet and one dropping an OS and orbitting before it goes off is one thing, but for the other player to not be able to hit them/keep them in combat mode at all while they continue to do this "dive-bombing [is completely different] " "

The only "solution" proposed to fighting against this is just running away which is not a solution. A player shouldn't be forced to run away because the player attacking them is unable to be shot/kept in combat mode. Going back to the player in orbit landing on a squad leader...the squad leader has an afterburner too, so running away would change nothing there.

Obitus

Reaction score
Joe-Bob said:
Obitus said:
However, the OS itself is not the cheat/hack.
No one here has implied that there' s a problem with the OS. That is not the issue here.

Obitus said:
Anyone can do this--try it with a friend.
Could you elaborate? How exactly can you land, os and orbit before the other person targets and/or shoots back? In some cases, the player "dive-bombing" is unable to be selected and doesn't show up on the targets list at all during this time. Could you post a video of someone doing it to show us that "anyone can do it" within normal parameters or the game?

Obitus said:
The easiest way to fix this is
  • Complain to Devs
(...) Find a way to avoid this "maneuver".
How do you propose we "find a way to avoid this" if there are players in white following someone in red and having someone waiting in orbit to land and do this glitch/cheat where they can't be touched but can kill you with 1 OS in most cases? If you have an idea for ways to combat this (since taunts, shooting, thermos, etc doesn't work) please, share your thoughts as to how we should "avoid" this or how we can fight back against this. Being careful where we go red has nothing to do with it, because any other player can follow you anywhere you go...Red = Dead also has nothing to do with it if one player isn't able to damage the other because they are continuously escaping to orbit even after being shot/put into combat mode.
You asked for a video showing that it is possible. With no brain, a pilot can do this. The question isn't if it is fair--it isn't--but how to avoid it. I can't make a video with it with free volunteers in antares because they don't have OS's, but you CAN orbit before the OS goes off if you don;t shoot. Yes you land in lz, but then you have your afterburner. Considering that you and myself have PVP'd in this manner before, it baffles me that you don't know how to drop an OS and orbit.

Joe-Bob

Reaction score
Again, that is not what I asked, nor what I said in either of those two comments. I said "Could you elaborate? How exactly can you land, os and orbit before the other person targets and/or shoots back? In some cases, the player "dive-bombing" is unable to be selected and doesn't show up on the targets list at all during this time."

I'm aware that it is possible to activate an OS and orbit before it goes off, as i stated "Having two people on the planet and one dropping an OS and orbitting before it goes off is one thing,(...)" That is not what is in question...What is in question (as far as how to do it/is it fair, intended gameplay) is when a player lands, targets, os's and orbits so fast that they either aren't able to be targeted (meaninng they also don't register on the targets list), or if they are targeted/shot at, they are still able to orbit. What you showed in that video was not what was shown in the first one...

The initial question was how to fight back against this, which you still have given no realistic way to do. What you're saying is that the only option available to the player on surface is to run away, or if they have a squad leader following the player in red, their only option is to stay in orbit until the other pilot leaves. Again, this is not a solution and this is a completely one-sided "pvp", if you can even call it that.