What's new

The Final Stand

nebulaman

Reaction score
here we are then...
The world returned slowly to Erik, like an old radio gradually tuning in. his head was fuzzy, filled with fractured images of explosions and the dark forms of ships. Eriks eyes flickered open, and he found himself staring at a pure white ceiling. Gingerly, he turned his head, taking in his surroundings. He recognized this place. It was the Kalabesh starbase hospital, though how he had got here he had no idea.

‘good to see you’re awake, captain,’ a familiar gruff voice sounded. Erik, forgetting his tender head, whipped round to see sergeant Nash standing a few metres away from his bed. Nash appeared to be genuinely pleased erik was awake, but seemed to be hiding it.
Erik tried to speak, but a stabbing pain shot through his head as soon as his jaw twitched.
‘don’t try speaking, Spiro’, said Nash. ‘you’ve taken a hell of a beating. When you ejected, your pod took the full force of that explosion. It was a miracle you survived.’
In spite of the pain coursing through his skull, Erik managed to croak a sentence.
‘what…happened?’, he said weakly.
Nash gave another crooked smile.
‘after you almost killed yourself taking out that conquest ship, Hammers lost morale all across its fleet. We were able to sweep in and take down the main force as they went into disarray. The clan leaders surrendered eight hours ago, and their armada has been absorbed into our own defensive line.’
‘eight hours?’, croaked Erik. ‘ how…long have I…been out?’
‘almost twenty one hours, and you wont be flying any ships for a few more yet.’, replied Nash. ‘ you’ve broken three ribs, and suffered severe concussion. You need to rest for now.’
Erik sighed slowly, sinking into his pillow. Nash called for the nurse, and Eriks world slowly dissolved into a deep sleep as the sedative seeped into him.

The next time Erik woke, three days later, he noticed something was different. The pain around his head was nowhere near as intense, so he gingerly got out of his bed, ignoring the doctors pleas for him to stay in the ward. Shakily, he inched towards the office of Sergeant Nash, wanting to know the situation of the current crisis.
Erik sounded the alert for Nash‘s door.
‘enter’, came the gruff reply. Erik walked in, registering the momentary look of shock on Nash’s face. It was gone in an instant, however, and replaced with a slight grin.
‘what a coincidence, Spiro’, said Nash evenly. ‘I was just about to pay you another visit. This time with some good news.’
‘good news, sir?’ asked Erik uncertainly. How could there be any good news at a time like this?
Nash looked quite pleased with himself.
‘I managed to get you another ship’, he said.
‘already?!’, spluttered Erik. He couldn’t believe Nash had arranged it so fast. Usually it took almost two weeks for a pilot to receive a replacement ship from the rebel leaders. They were not fond of losing warships, especially STAMs.
‘well, I called in a few favours, and pushed things around a little’, replied Nash. ‘now,’ whispered Nash, leaning forwards towards Erik over his desk,‘ do you want to see it?’
Erik thought about it for a fraction of a second. Then, slowly, he nodded.

Nash and Erik walked out into the main hangar. The lights were on minimal power, and the cavernous room was very dark, yet Nash seemed to know exactly where he was going. The heavy sound of his boots on the steel floor echoed around the hangar, amplifying the size of it.
Erik was slightly confused. He looked round, taking in the whole of the room. There were less than 5 ships in the entire hangar.
‘where’ve all the ships gone, sir?’, he queried.
‘most of them got sent to colossus for maintenance and repairs’, said Nash. ‘that was one hell of a fight we were in , Spiro. Every ship took some kind of damage.’
Silence befell the two of them again as they walked. Erik was left to ponder in silence the consequences of the last battle. How many had they lost? What was the situation with the mantis fleet? Was…nattasia ok…?
Nash suddenly changed direction, bringing erik out of his thoughts. He started walking towards a maintenance room, that was swathed in darkness. Erik hesitated, then followed Nash into the dark.

‘computer…lights!’, called Nash from the black. Slowly, the lights of the small room came on. Erik’s eyes widened as the lights revealed the shape of a huge shape. It was a ship, but not like any ship erik had ever seen. It was larger than even his old vessel, and formed the shape of an X. on the front was a massive cannon, pulsing green and humming gently. Erik laughed weakly at the sight of it, trying to take it all in. The ship, though deactivated, seemed to emanate a kind of raw power. Erik knew a good ship when he saw one, and he was looking at one now.
Nash walked forward proudly. He placed a hand on the ship, and the hull around it glowed. Eriks eyes widened. He had never seen armour react like that before.
‘this, spiro, announced Nash, ‘is the STAM-X Shadow Sniper. it’s the most advanced warship we’ve ever created, and it was worth the money, let me tell you.’
‘I’m…speechless’, spluttered erik. ‘how the hell did you guys build this thing?’
‘oh you can thank the imperial scientists for the original design,’ replied Nash wryly. ‘but we built upon the blueprints and improved it further. This for example’- Nash touched the hull again- ‘is a film of vatistinoid, combined with exofomic ore built into the armour. It deflects pretty much anything thrown at it, giving it high defensive capabilities.’
Nash continued with the tour of the ship, listing the various new features of the Sniper. He gestured to the large cannon on the nose.
‘this is a new weapon called a sniper laser. It fires a highly concentrated beryllium beam at a target, and its extremely accurate. On top of this, we’ve integrated an attack charge, that diverts emergency power to weapons and increases their power by about 15%.’
Nash then pointed to a small metal object attached to the underside.
‘this thing is an attack droid. It detaches from the ship and launches its own attacks on whatever you shoot.’
Erik took a step back, taking in the whole ship.
‘and you…want me to have this ship, sir?,’ he asked nervously. The thought of him flying this craft, soaring amongst the stars with it… was incredible.
Nash smiled.
‘like I said…I called in a few favours.’

ZeribreX

Reaction score
Busy doing college work? XD

Wait your doing work now? School was a different story eh? Games all the way ;P

nebulaman

Reaction score
hehe yeah im trying to make an effort now lol.
i am getting chapter 5 done, the rebel fleet will move out to bring NOVA (which i know is disbanded now but meh, its a cool name for a clan anyway) under their control. but it seems the matis may soon find out the rebels plans...

nebulaman

Reaction score
phew. heres your fifth serving. had a few last miute changes to what i was writig but here it is...

Chapter 5

The man knew it was coming. The needle, bearing its payload of pain. His eye widened as his oppressors came out of the darkness, the needle glinting in the harsh white light. Sweat poured down him as they came closer, merciless…and inhuman.
The demons drew close, and leant down, studying him with scarlet eyes that seemed to light themselves. In a harsh, guttural hiss, one of them whispered to him.
‘you see? Your race has abandoned you! Give us the information we need for vatistinoid, and you may live another day or two.’
The man said nothing. Maybe if he kept quiet, they would go away, leave him alone… but he was wrong. In a swift movement, the needle plunged into him, and his whole body shook with pain. The agony was indescribable. The demons ignored his screams, instead motioning for more of the pain to come. The man knew he was going to crack soon…but he would hold out as long as he could.

For the first time since the Gemini invasion, Erik was genuinely excited. He had been given the all clear from the doctors, and was allowed to enter his new ship before the rebel fleet moved out to bring NOVA under control. As he clambered into the cockpit, he felt the familiar rush of anticipation begin to swirl inside him. With a confident yet nervous motion, he flipped the master switch on Poseidon, the STAM-X shadow sniper. A smile twitched the corners of his mouth as he felt the throb of the engine roar to life.
Erik wrapped his hands around the main navigational controls. It took mere seconds for his pilot brain to adapt to the slightly alien layout of the controls, then he was away, gaining height and speed. The huge ship swung round to the docking window of the hangar, and moved towards it. Erik expertly manoeuvred the vessel out of the starbase, towards the test area Nash had set out for the new ship. Erik studied the inky void of space for movement, and was surprised to see a familiar shape near him. It was the unmistakeable barrel form of the conquest ship, standing guard over Kalabesh. Erik was confused. Unless his memory was faulty, he had accelerated to 80 times the speed of light into the back of the same ship, almost killing himself.
The answer to his confusion came in the form of Nash’s face on the comm screen.
‘looking at the conquest ship, spiro?’ it was as if he’d read his mind.
‘how did you…’, erik started, but Nash cut him off.
‘we took what was left of the one you ripped apart, and just built on it. We can be surprisingly efficient when our existence is threatened.’
Erik gave a crooked smile, then closed the channel. He had seen the potency of the conquest ship for himself. Now the rebels had one in their fleet… their fighting capacity would be largely increased.

Eriks attention snapped back to his console. There were lots of new toys to play with here, and he couldn’t wait to get his hands on them.

Natassia ivanova watched from her window as the small form of spiros ship zipped around above Kalabesh. She was surprised to hear of his quick recovery, ivanova had seen less violent collisions kill a pilot before.
She sighed and turned round. Reaching under her bed, she retrieved a small comm device, modified to communicate with other star systems. She activated a call, and was answered by an unpleasantly familiar sight. Even on a small screen, mantis look hideous. Their purplish, scaly skin is mottled with orange, and the mouth is formed of a mess of mandibles and pincers. The mantis scowled at ivanova with thinly veiled hatred, a hatred heavy with centuries of bloodshed and bitterness. The major suppressed her natural revulsion and started to speak, when she was cut off by the mantis.

‘do you have the vatistinoid, human? The creature demanded, scarlet eyes scrutinizing her. Ivanova was glad of the lack of pleasantries, it meant she didn’t have to talk as much to the creature.
‘not yet,’ she replied tensely. ‘my security access only allows me to analyze blueprints for the substance, it doesn’t allow me to approach samples. I could send you the blueprints however-’
‘stop wasting my time,’ snapped the mantis. ‘consider our hostage we hold. I would advise you to call me only when you obtain a sample of the vatistinoid, NOT before.’
‘damn it, vicius, I could show you how to make it!’ cried ivanova. ‘I can send you blueprints, I can tell you refining techniques! Just let admiral Hornblower go!’
The mantis performed an approximation of a smile, eyes intensifying ever so slightly.
‘I think you know the admiral is worth more than mere word of mouth, major. You will send me a sample of vatsistinoid, or the great admiral Hornblower may find himself…running short of skin.’
Ivanova felt bile rise in her throat at the evil of vicius. The self proclaimed mantis scientist had dedicated his life to the eradication of the rebels, by any means necessary. Vicius was notorious for his twisted experiments performed on rebels, and even the occasional imperial ‘volunteer’. it was this dark reputation for which he was nicknamed ‘the mutilator’.
‘Ill try, vicius. Give me three more days, that’s all.’
‘you know full well even I cant postpone the invasion forever, major.’ replied vicius. ‘my brothers are eager to spill human blood once more. I would hurry if I were you.’ the link shut down. Ivanova continued to stare at screen long after the image had disappeared. With a heavy sigh, she replaced the comm device under her bed, and sat down heavily on it. She knew even if she managed to send a sample of vatistinoid to vicius, the mantis would kill the admiral anyway. There had to be another way…but she could only think of one. And only one man for it.

Erik looked down at his console, and was surprised to see he had an encrypted communication request. Rebels usually never used encrypted channels to communicate, except in special circumstances. Cautiously, he pressed the accept button. The beautiful face of major ivanova filled the screen, stripped of her warpaint and looking stressed. Erik sensed something was wrong immediately.
‘whats going on, major?’ he asked, skipping the usual flirty bantering attempts .That could wait. ‘whats with the encrypted channel?’
‘spiro’, said the major, ‘what im about to tell you is classified top secret umbra. I cant even tell you it over the encrypted channel, so meet me in my room immediately, please.’ the channel suddenly cut off, leaving erik to stare and try to absorb what he had just heard. Top secret umbra was the highest level of security to be given to certain pieces of information. A very few select people in the rebel forces had access to this information, and it seemed ivanova was one of them…

Ten minutes later, erik stood in major ivanova’s quarters, trying to absorb the staggering strory being told to him. Two days after the hammers battle, admiral Hornblower had been assigned to do some recon on the mantis in the mizar system. All had been going well until the admiral’s prototype cloaking device had failed, and the mantis had descended on his small ship like locusts. The mantis now had an extremely valuable hostage on their hands, and were mercilessly making demands in exchange for his ‘return’.
But the most shocking revelation was yet to come. The only person the admiral had communicated with during his recon…was ivanova. After his capture, the mantis had told her not to tell the rebel high command of his plight, or the poor man would be skinned alive then eaten. It was a typically mantis threat.
So, the rebels had no idea the great admiral was in enemy hands, and ivanova had been trying to deal with the situation entirely on her own. But now it was time to call in some backup.
‘why the hell did the ADMIRAL get sent on this mission, anyway?!’ cried Erik. He couldn’t believe the rebels had been so foolhardy as to send one of their senior officers to a mantis infested system for simple recon.
‘the thing is, captain…the mission wasn’t just ordinary intelligence gathering. The admiral was the only one skilled enough to complete this mission…except you. Since you were unconscious in a hospital, it fell to the admiral to carry it out.’
Erik looked blankly at ivanova. He tilted his head, as if to encourage her to continue. The major cleared her throat and carried on.
‘the admiral was assigned to search for evidence of the existence…of an artifact. And he found it. Theres an artifact in the mizar system, spiro’
The few short sentences had a massive impact on erik. All the breath was snatched from his body as he tried to absorb this information. The ‘artifacts’ were legendary among both humans and mantis alike. The story told of several artifacts scattered across the galaxy, which when combined, unlocked a gate to an entirely different galaxy. But it was what was rumoured to be in that galaxy that was so important.

An entire planet made from cryonite, the most valuable mineral in the universe, was said to be sitting in that galaxy, waiting for a race to come and claim it for themselves.. It was these myths which were the entire driving force behind the mantis empires spread in the galaxy, their despicable crimes against other species, and their undying hatred for humanity: the only other race with a hope in hell of defeating them. If the humans could gain control of the cryonite planet, they would have a gargantuan resource, enough for hundreds of thousands of ships. Combined with their existing metal and antimatter reserves, the rebels would be able to bribe imperials with whatever they wanted, they could buy resources from other sentient species, or even buy entire planets from them to build shipyards. The rebels would be able to turn the tide of this desperate guerrilla war in a matter of weeks.
Erik blinked, then slowly looked at ivanova.
‘does anyone else know about this?’, he asked, dreading the reply either way.
‘no, not even serageant Nash. im risking the admirals life just by telling you.,’ said ivanova. Erik turned to face the window, trying to absorb the amount of information being said. He asked ivanova what he could do to help.
‘just before his capture, Hornblower told me the mantis capturing him were mantis assassins. There were several of them, so he never stood a chance. But the fact he was able to say that was extremely useful, as assassins are only found in-’
‘the sol system’, whispered erik.
‘the sol system’, confirmed ivanova. ‘and theres only one place where human POWs are taken to in the whole sol system…planet mars.

nebulaman

Reaction score
writing is postponed for now, thanks to my laptop doing a magnificent kamikaze down the stairs :cry:

nebulaman

Reaction score
naah it was buggered, saving up for a new one now...unfortunately, i lost all my documents including the story and its nearly-complete chapter :(

nebulaman

Reaction score
After a loooong hiatus, I should be starting a new chapter soon, so watch this space :)

balance

Reaction score
nebulaman said:
After a loooong hiatus, I should be starting a new chapter soon, so watch this space :)
YAY atlast sombody give him some coffee :D

nebulaman

Reaction score
i promise this one will be a cracker, its been far too long since i wrote a part :eek:

nebulaman

Reaction score
there we are, a bit short but thats cos im gearing up for the finale chapters :)

chapter 5.
mars, human POW mine.
the mans eyelids fluttered as he operated inside his tiny cramped cockpit. his face betrayed the indescribable exhaustion of the overworked and ill-fed, haggered, scarred, and with a distant, haunted look. working like a robot, he carried out the procedure he was forced to perform every day for 8 years, mind, body and soul aching for sleep. aching for oblivion...
he didnt even feel himself pitch forward over the console, and it was only his head smacking against it that woke him. no!, he thought desperately as the tiny mining ship lurched out of control and crashed into the rusty soil of mars. the ship came to a halt at the feet of a massive imperial signor, hull lit by eerie green searchlights. the signor paused in its duties and turned to face him. its weapons armed with a scarlet glow.

oh god...no! thought the man wildly. he knew what was coming. failure in their work meant death or torture for the miners, the smallest dip in work quality and they were carted off to the execution chamber.
the cold, cruel face of a human appeared on his comm screen. the imperial surveyed him like something he found on his shoe, then spoke in a harsh whisper, voice deliberately amplifiedto fill the cockpit.
'miner 26495! prepare for boarding! you have performed an act of treason against the human empire!' the man desperately pleaded with the imperial, but the crimson-clad soldier cut him off straight away.

'you have disrupted cryonite mining and we will punish you for it!' the imperial cried out in a stentorian growl. the hatch of the mine hissed open, and a mantis footsoldier filled the ship, and glared at him with red eyes. the man screamed as the monster strode towards him. but it was nothing compared to the shrieks that would escape the correction chamber soon...

the stam-x shadow sniper poseidon exited the stargate noiselessly, completely invisible to the naked eye. erik would have only seconds to slip through the gaurds and warp to mars to attempt the rescue of the admiral. god knows what hes already told them, he thought as he slammed the ship into superluminal speeds. the view of space rushed into a violent stream of multicolored streaks as posiedon roared past 80c. back at the gate, the mantis gaurd reported the ship of the human spiro entering the sol system.

hornblowers capture has proven most fruitful, mused one of the mantis soldiers to himself. erik couldnt have known, but the dreadnoughts dream had been stripped down upon capture. the cloaking device, though causing some confusion at first, had been analysed and probed, and mantis scientists had quickly developed a way to detect the cloaked rebel ships. now the mantis fleet in sol was massing near mars, getting ready to capture and imprison the hated captain and imprison him.

erik spiro was hurtling straight into a trap.

nebulaman

Reaction score
I've...kinda given up on this story, seeing as SS has gone batcrap crazy with PG...
I may come back and finish it, but for now...nah. :(

nebulaman

Reaction score
Man, this was so long ago now. Suffice to say my command of the English language has somewhat improved. Thanks anyway Ace :cool: