What's new

Cryonite Refinement bonus Vs Higher tech reduction

StormRider

Reaction score
Hey Guys I'm new here (started in April) and I'm in gemini and I was wondering if the cryo reduction for me (6%) gets balanced out because of the refiner drone which gives me a 8% cryo boost. :sneaky:

StormRider

Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention I have 3 pieces of rare tech and the cryo reduction rate is on prosperous

Exup

LCM (Lead Community Manager)
Community Manager
Reaction score
The Cryonite reduction is not value of cryonite reduced, the chance of cryonite dropping from a kill will be reduced by your 6%.

Your refiner drone will give you an additional 8% (in your case) bonus to any cryonite you collect.

As for balancing out, this will depend on how you are playing, as different mantis and even different cryonite drops have differing values.

StormRider

Reaction score
What I mean is if the 6% reduction is rendered null due to 8% overall increase of cryo earned,kinda like when players go to lower levels to grind harvesters with a lower chance of cryo dropping but a faster kill rate

Exup

LCM (Lead Community Manager)
Community Manager
Reaction score
looking at the numbers, you loose a 6% drop with a 8% bonus when collecting, so the figures seem to suggest a 2% increase, i have not tested this for exact results.

Joe-Bob

Reaction score
Yes and no.

Theoretically, if the base drop rate was a guaranteed 50% (50 drops per 100 kills) at 10 cryo per kill, a player with no reduction would make 500 cryo every 100 kills. A player with 6% reduction would make 440 with the same 100 kills. If the player with a reduction had a level 5 drone (10% cryo boost) they'd still only get 484 per 100 kills. Theoretically...

That being said, as you mentioned, the kill rate would be faster in a lower system where a reduction would be given. I can kill idunnohowmanyabunch of moli harvs in the same amount of time it takes to kill a hive harv, so it's not really drone vs reduction penalty, its time vs how many kills I can get. As mentioned earlier, I'd only make 484 per 100 kills with 6% - 20% reduction (theoretically) even with a level 5 drone, but if I can kill 200-300 mantis in the same amount of time the other guy can kill 100, I end up making more than them...unless it's like 500 kills x 10 cryo each vs 1 kill at 500 cryo each....obviously.

TL;DR
so it's not really drone vs reduction penalty, its time vs how many kills I can get. As mentioned earlier, I'd only make 484 per 100 kills with 6% -20% reduction (theoretically) even with a level 5 drone, but if I can kill 200-300 mantis in the same amount of time the other guy can kill 100, I end up making more than them...unless it's like 500 kills x 10 cryo each vs 1 kill x 500 cryo

-SoaL

Pleiades

Reaction score
When it comes to grinding cryonite it takes a lot of time and patience. As for drop rate, its of course based on the higher the tech, the less drop rate. When you equip a cryonite refiner drone it increases the total value, but not the drop rate. My best suggestion when it comes to grinding cryonite is find the place that best works for you.

Joe-Bob said:
so it's not really drone vs reduction penalty, its time vs how many kills I can get. As mentioned earlier, I'd only make 484 per 100 kills with 6% -20% reduction (theoretically) even with a level 5 drone, but if I can kill 200-300 mantis in the same amount of time the other guy can kill 100, I end up making more than them...unless it's like 500 kills x 10 cryo each vs 1 kill x 500 cryo -SoaL
That's mainly the reason why there is reduction too. Because if a Draconis Ship were to land on Mars for example, they can kill way more enemies than a sol ship there and make almost equal or greater than than they can just with more enemies due to the reduction. You rise a very good point here.

redcoffe

Reaction score
I end up making more than them...unless it's like 500 kills x 10 cryo each vs 1 kill x 500 cryo