What's new

Love and Honor

VintageAion

Reaction score
Table of Context

Chapter One (Introduction) http://forum.pirategalaxy.com/viewtopic.php?f=305&t=25285&p=148186#p148186
Chapter Two (The Approval) http://forum.pirategalaxy.com/viewtopic.php?f=305&t=25285&p=148209#p148209
Chapter Three (The Reveal) http://forum.pirategalaxy.com/viewtopic.php?f=305&t=25285&p=148235#p148235
Chapter Four (Love and Honor) http://forum.pirategalaxy.com/viewtopic.php?f=305&t=25285&p=148330#p148330
Chapter Five (The Legacy) http://forum.pirategalaxy.com/viewtopic.php?f=305&t=25285&p=148731#p148731

I am adding one chapter at a time. I have 11 chapters already written so far. There will be more. Each chapter has to be edited to fit this forum .

VintageAion

Reaction score
Chapter One (Introduction)

Its just another day.

I wake up. So mental. I turn my head and look outside my room through a small round window into the dark outter universe that has no end. I get up, even though I don't want to.
Why would I want to.

I will never experience more than this huge claustrophobic death trap I know as my home base. I look into the mirror.

I live in a world, ruined by those who bribe and cheat the system. I hate it. Even though I don't live in a real world. I am just another person. In space. I don't fly. I want to. But I can't.

I don't qualify.

19 years. That is how long I've been preparing. I am ready.

When is my chance.

I survive every training exercise. I ace every test.

Am I too young?

No. My brother got his ship when he turned 17. He was remarkable. But his life ended defending my father. It was tragic. I watched everything from outside my window in my room. We were being invaded by the Venus Company.

But I try not to remember it.

I don't want to remember it.

I clean myself up. Slipped into my so called pilot outfit I am required to wear everyday. I look no different than the next guy. It's cruel. Why do I have to wear this. It mocks me.

My room is small. My base is deep in space. If I look out my window. I can only see stars. Even though Earth can be viewed from the other side of the space station. For hundreds of years. My company has competed against others for survival and what most people call, honor.

To most people, honor does not exist. It has been taken away. Not forcefully. But slowly over time. Everyone has their own reason why.

Honor is what most people hope for. It is not physical or won. But it is rewarded. I still believe honor exist. My Brother had it. Even though he is gone, it doesn't mean it died with him.

Most people these days cheat their way through the system. Not many pilots of our company follow the rules anymore. Most who did or do, fly in secret now. Too afraid to come out the shadows. The honorless will do anything to make sure they live in hell.

How do people cheat the system? They hack programs to gain their ways through ranks. They also blackmail and pay millions to get people to do their dirty work. I don't trust my General.

Sure they get caught, but after a simple trials and lack of proof, they are right back to where they were at and then everything is forgotten. They are good at covering up their tracks.

I walk outside to the hall. Empty as usually at this time. I don't doubt I am the only one awake at the moment. Still early. I always wake up early. I love to go to the Sector Room at this time. The Sector Room is the room where I can clear all my thoughts. It is a wide generally empty room that has the best view of Earth's moon when you look above. I usually keep a mat under the only table in the room. The room is peaceful. I usually stare at the sky for an hour before I have to go to work in the control room.

I monitor activity in the Earth home zones. Boring task. As most activity happens outside the home zone ever since the invention of the protection shield 2 years ago. I don't even believe my actions are needed since any invaders that enter the shield are just here for secret trades between our own pilots. Which is another reason why honor has diminished.

I lay on the mat I laid on the floor in the middle of the room. I stare through space pass our moon. I can see moving light. I know they are our own. Patrolling the area. Our only other defense we have in the home zone are a Mark 7 Tormentor, two Starlight Punishers and a StarLight Angel. All are the most advanced ships known. My Father is among them, flying the Mark 7. I never see him anymore. He flies all night and sleeps all day. Those times I do see him, he just stares at me. This been true since my Brother took that missile for him. I don't even believe he wants me to become a pilot. I don't think he wants to lose another son.

"Josh?"

I look back and see my best friend who calls my name. She and I been friends since I can first remember. We were young. Both dreaming of becoming pilots. She is younger than me by one year and already achieved her dream. She is tall and has straight blonde hair. Beautiful. I do like her. She doesn't know it. I never want to try anything though. I don't want to lose someone I am this close to. She is the only one I actually spend time with. She keeps me going.

"O, hey Yvonni", I answered. "What time is it? I thought you left already with your squadron to clear the waves of Mordons?".

Mordons are part of an alien race that roam around in space a few lightyears away. They are decent in size with a weird spiral cylinder shape with sharp edges. I only seen one before but that was for a training exersise. They are slow.

"It is about 8:47. "She says. "The Mordons left already. Don't think they were actually heading for us."

"That's good." I said. I look back to the sky. She sits beside me and looks up as well. A few moments pass.

"Makes you wonder." She finally says. "We live in a horrible time but we still get to enjoy such a beautiful universe with so many mysteries we yet to discover." She looks at me. "You ok?"
I turn to her then back at the stars and reply. "Yea. I just wish I could enjoy more of those mysteries."

She puts her arm around me for a small side huge and says, "You will. I still have hopes for you."

"Thank you."

We continue to look at the stars in silence for several minutes before we were brought to our attention to get ready for our regular duties by a 3 note alarm. It is 9:00.

"Time to go to work" I say as we get up. I pick up the mat and get place it under the table.

"Yep, I gotta go clean up Jassy." She says. Jassy is the name of her PET. Not many pilots have PETs. She got her's from her mother. PETs are similar to the ships pilots fly but they are computer controlled and follows the pilot's ship. They aid in combat and can be helpful in collecting resources we need.

"Have fun." I said. We go our separate ways.

I arrive at the control room. Large and cubicle. You can see so many monitors and holographic computers. My area is towards the left side of the room. I have probably the smallest section with the oldest technology. One small screen. A rusty chair.

This is my life.

I look to the door enterance and see a familiar face. Short, black hair. Green eyes. John is another pilot. He was with my brother that day.

"Mourning John." I gave a small wave. He glaces and just passes me and continues to walk towards the Colonel that stood behind me.

He never talks to me. I don't know why. I never got him mad before. Maybe he is guilty about my brother. Maybe he could of done something that day. He was only a Basic Sergeant that day. Now he is a Major after 3 years.

"Colonel Ghan, we are ready to go, sir." He said.

Colonel Ghan is a man I respect. He is probably one of the only people I know that actually earned his rank. He been in command of the Home Base for 2 years now. He is turning Grey due to age though. But that is life.

He replies. "Roger. I hope you have enough fuel. It might be a long fight."

"I..I think we will be ok sir," he stutters.

"You think?" the Colonel Questions .

"Well, It will be easier if we have a recon. We are predicting that our enemy will be cloaked before combat. But we do not have any other available Recon fighters."

Colonel Ghan glances at me, then at the main monitoring screen in the front of the room. He turns around and walks to the hanger desk. Picks up something. Turns around. He looks at John and says.

"You do now."

He throw the object towards me. I catch it. It is keys.

"Josh will be your Recon wingmate."

I blink.

VintageAion

Reaction score
Chapter 2 (The Approval)

I am finally a pilot.

Excitement blazes through me. I've been waiting for this moment for years. I almost can't believe it.

I cannot believe it!

"I think not!"

What?

I turn around. It is my father? His black hair. Which is similar to mine. Same height. Rushing through the door. Why is he denying this for me?

"What?" I replied.

"You heard me. I am not permitting you to go."

My father is a Basic Colonel. Even though he is one rank below Colonel Ghan. He still has the authority to decline people from becoming a pilot.

"I told you I don't want him to fly." He continues, this time talking to Colonel Ghan.

I am puzzled. Why wouldn't he want me to live my dream?

Colonel Ghan turns around. "Josh can't be stuck here everyday for the rest of his life Wilson." He says. "Let it go. Let him be."

"I will not let him go out there." He points out the window. Of all this time my father has never talked to me. Why is it that he picks this time and this time it is something against what I want to do.

I am confused.

"Why not. I always wanted to be a pilot," My voice is raising slightly after every word. "You always knew that. I've been waiting for this moments for all my life. You kno-"

"Because I don't want to lose another son!" He cuts in yelling. Room falls silent. His voice calms. "I can't lose the only son I have left."

A few short moments pass. We just stare at each other.

I understand now.

"You will not lose me."

"I can't..."

Colonel Ghan cuts in. "Its only a recon mission Wilson. He will be safe. The rest of the squadron will be doing most of the work."

Frustrated. My father turns, walks towards the door. Then pauses.

"Be safe." He says before actually leaving. The room resumes its activity.

First time I heard his voice a long time. Still confused on what just happened. It happened so fast. He came, he left.

Am I a pilot or not?

"So what do I do Colonel Ghan?" I asked.

This is my first mission. Even though I been through countless training excercises. But an actual mission makes me dumbfounded.

"Get ready to leave in 2 hours. Your ship is in hanger 412 a. It is yours now. Respect it. Your squadron will meet up in Dock 2. You can go prepare right now. Your not needed here."

I reply, "Ok sir. Thank you sir." I am still holding in my excitement. I walk out in the hall. A huge smile comes across my face.

The halls are filled with activity now. Alot more than this mourning when I first woke up. Groups of scientists rush pass me. They are always busy. Just yesterday, they finished 2 satellites and placed it in orbit of earth. The radar improved our detection range for the home zone. Keeps us more aware of activity around us. Less work for me.

Even though I am extremely happy about being a pilot. Why did he pick me. Of all people, I am given the job out of thin air. No warning. No expectation. It was all a big surprise.

Wait. My father said he told Colonel Ghan not to let me become a pilot. It makes sense now why I never became one. All this time. But why did Colonel Ghan give me the chance despite my own fathers words.

I continue to walk the halls. I enter a room. My father's quarters. No different than my room.. Just filled with his personal items. Including my brother's old space helmet. Next to a coin I made for him. I made it out of Prometium. An ore found not far from the moon. My mother loves the coin. She works in the hospital on the other side of the base. I see her every other day. More often than my father. She takes care of pilots when they get hurt during combat.

My Father is staring out the window.

"Dad?"

He turns his head slightly. "Hey son. I am sorry.

"For what?"

He looks back outside. "I know it has been your dreams. I just can't lose you too. I know you would be a fine pilot. Make differences." He turns to me. "Time grows slower when things you hold most precious just slip away."

"You're my father. You will always be. I miss Tyler too. But that shouldn't be the reason to prevent me from moving on with my own life."

He looks down. Then back at me. "I know. Your brother will always be in my heart. We will fly in the future. Me and You. Together."

I walk up to him. I give him a hug. I never hugged my own dad before. Well, not since I was young.

This is awkward.

"I believe you will be a great pilot."

I hear foot shuffling. I turn around and a body flies at me and then back offs.

"Congratulations Josh. I knew you would become a pilot!"

I reply, "O, you heard Yvonni. Yea I am excited."

She sounds excited. I am guessing she been wanting to fly with me for a while. She flies a Reflax . It was handed down to her by her mother. Her ship is unique. Not many pilots fly a ship like hers. The design of her ship was discontinued a few years ago. I believe her Reflax is the last of its kind even though there are versions of the Reflax. Small but fast.

"Come on. Let's go see your Birdie." She says. She is pulling me out the door. I make sure I give my dad a wave. He gave me an approving nod, then I lost sight of him.

"How did you find out?" I asked her. I am still being dragged.

She smiles and then replies. "Little Birdie told me."

We cut around a couple corners. Nearly ran into a scientist. We finally stop in front of the main hanger deck.

"Which hanger is it in?" She asks.

"Colonel Ghan said 412 a." I still don't know what ship I will be flying. I never heard of a recon fighter.

"That is a few hangers down from me!" She says. She continues to drag me. My arm feels like it is going to be pulled off... And I thought I am excited.

We finally arrive. My hanger looks a little different than the ones around me. The other hangers a little smaller. And completely Grey. My Hanger. It looks more modern and chromed. Looks completely brand new.

Made just for me?

All the hangers are huge. The smallest one is probably about 40 feet tall and 30 feet wide. Each has it's own ship owned by a pilot.

"Well open it up!"

I look for a way to open the hanger doors. I only see a keypad.

"57236."

I turn around to see Colonel Ghan walking up to us.

"Sir?" I said.

"The access code. 57236." He replies. "I forgot to tell you when you were in the control room. You can change it later"

I enter the 5 digit code. Pushed enter. The hanger doors begin to open. This is the moment I get to see my first ever ship.

Then I get distracted by red lights and an alarm.

What is going on?

VintageAion

Reaction score
Chapter 3 (The Reveal)

Alarms?

I haven't heard the alarms in years. Since the Venus invasion. Since my Brother died. There can't be another invasion? We have the protective shields. I look to Colonel Ghan who is already running in the direction of the control room.

I am still clueless of what is happening. People around me are preparing for something. Top pilots opening hangers, getting ready for battle. I don't know if I should join them or take cover in my room like I did 3 years ago. Yvonni is still next to me, she looks confused as well.

Is this a drill?

I see John rushing pass me towards his ship and then I feel an arm on my shoulder that turns me around. Its my father.

"Son," he says. "Go to your quarters. We will take care of this. Your mission is canceled for now."

I just stare at him. Still confused.

"Go! Now."

"But I want to go with you." I finally replied.

"Not this time. Next time. Me and you against the universe. I promise." He looks towards my new ship I never even seen yet. I look as well.

It is small. Well not too small. Dark blue. Fairly round in the front with a single engine. I never seen this design before.

"It's a Shade Stalker." My father says. "It is a new ship that we just finished designing. It will do you good. But for now. Go to your quarters. I will see you when I get back. Take him Yvonni."

Yvonni tugs my arm. I turn to her then back to my father. I nodded. Closed my Hanger. Then ran.

The halls are overcrowded now. More than just scientists. Majors, Sergeants, and plenty of basic space pilots. Something is wrong.

I never seen this many pilots before in a hurry.

We finally reach my room. Flooded with red lights. The annoying sound of the alarm is gone though. Yvonni turns on my TV.

The first thing we see is a bright flash outside my window that fills the room. You cannot see anymore red lights. I am blinded by intense light brighter than the Sun. I close my eyes.

This is the way we all die.

I open my eyes after a few moments. The light has dimmed. I look to the TV. The Alert announcement finally arrives. General York is giving us the situation.

General York is giving us the situation?

This is a first. He never makes public announcements. He is always in his office. No one even knows what he does in there as half the time the room is locked.

He begins. "The Home zone is under attack. The Mars Company launched two long ranged missles that made contact with our Shield Satellites. One satellite is destroyed. The other is severly damaged. Right now, Home Base is on Red alert code five as 9 squadrons are incoming from the Gamma Sector..."

"Mars?" Yvonni bursts out.

I agree. Mars? They never invaded us. Why now? Have they been planning this the entire time?

General York Continues. "We ask everyone to stay in their quarters but Squadrons 15 through 32 prepare for battle."

My father is in Squadron 21. I am not surprised he is called into this situation. He goes to almost all battles that involves events that defends the home base and Earth. We just lost all of our shields. We are vulnerable so he is needed big time.

Why can't I help?

I look over at Yvonni. Her bright green eyes fixed on the TV.

Why can't we help?

Thoughts came back to my head. How did she know so fast that I became a pilot? Why did Colonel Ghan pick me. There were still plenty of other pilots in the station.

"Yvonni. How did you find out I became a pilot?" I asked. "It wasn't even 15 minutes when I was assigned?"

She looks at me. "Colonel Ghan came to me first."

"And you turned it down?"

"Yes, and no." She turns back to the TV. "I asked him to give the assignment to you."

I am surprised and not surprised at the same time. "Why?"

She looks back at me. "You already know the answer to that question."

"Thank you." I said. She hugs me.

I look out my window. I can see waves of ship exiting the base. I know one of them is my father. He is a great pilot. People have stories of him. He been to each permitted galaxy. Alpha, Beta, Gamma. He discovered the Delta Galaxy and helped defeat many great invasions. He defeated the leaders of the Epilison galaxy and supported our pilots in Zeta. When people see him in the halls. They call him 'Boss of Bosses' and say 'Good-Bye All Star'.

I am surprised he is not the General.

Our current General got to the top by family. His family is known to have lines of Earth Generals. His father, and his father's father.

General York became General after only 8 years of service. Colonel Ghan been around for 26.

The red lights stop flashing. It should be safe to leave the room. But we stay anyways.

Yvonni and I just talk about the older times for the next couple hours. Times when we used pretend we were pilots and go on secret missions in far away galaxies. We used to get into so much trouble when we ran into scientist and made them drop their test experiments results all over the floor. We were kids. We didn't know any better.

I can see the fight going on from my window. Lasers being shot in every direction. Rockets flying through the stars.

We used to all be one company. Worked together. Three major coorporations discovering the universe. No one completely know how we became enemies. Plenty of rumors. The most popular rumor is said that each leader had their own views on how to lead the companies. No one would agree on a thing. Things got out of hand and important people were accused of theft and treatury. It was not long before war broke out.

Hundreds of years has passed since the beginning of this war and we still can't end it. It seems that each year, we fight for a different reason. We used to fight for leadership. Now, we are all fighting for dominance and the latest technology. Each company constantly steals another's ideas or product and makes their own version.

Universal Peace can't be achieved.

Yvonni and I both got up and began walking back to the hangers. I want to see my ship again.

We arrived at my hanger after a short walk. 412 a. I enter my 5 digit code. The doors begin to open. I can see once again the Dark Blue single engine design, Two thin wings.

"It looks fast." I said. The ship does have only one major engine but it looks completely different than any engine on any other ship.

"I heard it is." Yvonni says. She grabs one of the wings. The ship itself is thin. Probably makes it easier to turn and glide through space.

The ship it self reminds me of a tripod. I don't think it is made for combat. Barely has room for lasers.

"What makes this ship so special?" I asked.

"Its a recon ship!" A familiar voice fills my ears. I turn around. It is Doctor Cope. He is a scientist. Great friend of my father. He is old. Has white hair. Probably around 70. He creates ship designs and defense features and helped create the protected shields of the home zone.

"What does that mean exactly" Yvonni asks. She is on the other side of the ship now.

Doctor Cope looks at the ship and replies. "Well, it's the only ship that is built for reconnaisance while fighting to help identify targets for the outfit."

Okay.

"While you remain cloaked most of the time," he continues. "You can mark target to increase the damage of your wingmates and paralyze your enemies support functions."

"So I will not really be fighting?" I asked. One of the reasons I wanted to become a pilot is so I can fight and defend my company. This doesn't help.

"Not really. You will be cloaked and helping your squadrons find invaders and support your wingmates with the special abilities."

I don't like this job. Yes, I am glad to be a pilot now. Yes, this ability and job is special and very important. But I didn't want to be hidden from the fight.

I open up the cockpit windshield to see the insides. Then I hear a system voice:

"Incoming Ship."

The crackling of a broken engine catches my attention as I turn around to see a ship crash land on the hanger decks not far from us. Visibility cut down to zero when all the dust and smoke from the fire catches in the air.

The hanger clears of smoke a little and I become frozen as I see the dismantled Mark 7 Tormentor with the words 'Boss of Bosses' written on the side burning in the middle of the deck.

VintageAion

Reaction score
Chapter 4 (Love and Honor)

Dad?!

I rush to the scene. Terrified of what just happened. Is he in there? Did he make it out?

Is my father okay?

Flames are burning and melting the metal. I hear the emergency team coming but I have to get him out of there now! It is hard to breath here. Too much smoke. I can see the cockpit. It is smashed in.

The path to the cockpit is a maze. Debree is everywhere. I push rubble to the side and try to avoid the fire. I cut myself on something sharp but I barely noticed. My only focus is getting my father out of there.

God the metal is hot!

What just happened? I am making my way to the cockpit as I break the glass to reach for my dad who looks to be unconsious.

I have to get him out!

I take off the mask. The Belt doesn't want to break loose. I look for something to cut it but I am pulled back. I struggle to get back to him but no use. I am back to the group. Doctor Cope is now holding me back.

"They got it Josh."

The emergency team got equipment to break him out. He is still unconsious.

I am a wreck. I can't lose him too.

I look back at Yvonni who is just staring at me. I think she knows what I am feeling right now. I look back at the wreck, then at the emergency team that carries him off.

I have to follow them.

I break lose of Doctor Cope's Grip and run after them. I can hear Yvonni's voice behind me telling me to slow down.

I can't slow down.

I lost sight of them. But I know they are going to the hospital wing. I take a shortcut through the Cafeteria. Nearly ran into a couple pilots and a scientist. A tray is knocked over. The halls I end up in are empty. I know the hosptial wing is a few corners away.

I turn the first corner. A door is blocking me. I push it but no luck. It is lock. I turn around and go the other way but ran into Yvonni who finally caught up to me.

"Come on Josh," she says. "This way."

She pulls me. We go through a room I never been in before. Room looks empty. We head to the other side of the room and crash through the door.

I see them.

From the distance, I can hear one of the medics say, "He is in Critical condition, take him in."

I take the lead and try to catch up before they enter the Hospital but I am too late. As soon as they entered the room, I am blocked by a body and the doors become shut.

"Dad!" I yell. My voice can probably be heard from across the station.

"Sweetheart," The gentle voice belongs to my mother. She is holding on to me tight. I can't let go.

I don't want to let go.

"I have to make sure he is ok, please." I said with a panicking tone.

I can't lose him too.

"I know, but sweetheart, we need to do what we do." For such a critical situation, she is acting so calm. Which actually calms me alittle.

I am just thinking of all the things we actually went through. The lost of my brother, his son. We used to play space fights in my room. We pretend we were ships and we throw pillows at each other pretending they were bombs and we had to dodge them. I would be Earth, my father would be Venus and my Brother, Mars. My mother would come into the room and give us hot chocolate and we used to believe it was ship fuel.

My mother lets me go.

"Go sit down honey." She directs me to the bench.

I sit and Yvonni follows my action and sits next to me. She leans her head on my shoulder and wraps her arm around me. I need her comfort. We always been this close. My mother goes into the room. And everything goes silent.

"I am here with you Josh."

I am just staring at the wall in front of me.

What do I do? What could I do?

I can hear activity going on in the room behind me. I tune it out. I don't want to hear what they are doing to him.

The hall is empty again. Just me and Yvonni on a bench. It is darker in this hall. I look up to see one of the lights is dimmed out.

Yvonni starts to sing a melody softly. Quietly.

Love is all,
The laughter and the tears that fall,
The mundane and the magical,
Love is all.

All is love,
The careless word, the healing touch,
The getting and the giving of,
All is love.

All the glory,
All the pain,
All the passion
That turns to ashes
Only to rise again.

A tear rolls down my right cheek. I close my eyes. Her voice is remarkable. I never knew she could sing. Makes me love her even more.

Memories continue to flow through my head. This time it is my brother and I. Back when I was 10 and he was 14.

"I want to fly a Mark 7 like dad." He says. Holding a toy model of the old Mark 7.

I take the toy from his hand. "Of course you do." I said. "Its strong."

"Yea. And it can outrun a Starlight."

Starlights are huge ships. Strongest of all. They look like giant claws. They are used in almost every squadron now.

"We will fly one." I replied. "Me and you against the universe."

My father enters the room. "Come on little guys, time to go to bed."

My brother reponds. "I am not little..."

"Smaller than me." I said. He pushes me and he rushes out the room. I follow.

My eyes open. I wipe my eye with my sleeve.

I hear the doors next to me open and a group of medics walk out. My mother follows them and stops in the middle of the hall.

I get up. And look at her.

Is he ok?

She turns around. Our eyes met.

Its been a couple seconds before a tear forms and rolls down her cheek.

VintageAion

Reaction score
Chapter 5 (The Legacy)

She smiles.

I walk into the room. The room is dim. Barely any light. Filled with desks and has 2 beds. I see him. In one of the beds. Motionless. Almost. He still breathes. Ever so slightly. I am relieved though.

I still have a father.

I kneel next to his bed. He sleeps. I wonder what he dreams. I don't know what I would of done if I lost him too. All I would have left is my mother and Yvonni.

My mother walks up behind me and rubs my back. I know now that everything is going to be okay. For 30 minutes. I stayed by him.

"How long is he going to be like this." I finally asked her. She is sitting in a chair behind me. She gets up and walks up to the bed.

She moves his hand across his stomach and replies, "A while."

"He won't be able to fly again."

I turn around to see a Surgeon. He carries a Clipboard. Never seen him before. Looks young.

He continues. "He is and will be paralyzed. Fortunate that he is still alive. He should regain some moment over time. If you guys need anything, I will be in the next room." He places the clipboard on the wall and leaves the room.

My mother brushes her hair to the side. "At least he will be with us."

Yvonni enters the room with a dozen flowers. They are Green. Chrysanthemums. I reconigze them. My mother's favorite. She sets them next to my father's bed on a desk. Flowers are hard to find on a space ship. Only one place to get them. We have a greenhouse garden. Filled with plant life. Our little peice of Earth.

"I can't stay." She says. She walks towards the door and turns to me again. "I am needed at the hangers. Ghan's orders." She gave me a hug and then she left.

I stayed in the same spot for the next few hours. Thinking. I don't know what about. It varies. My eyes open and close every so often. Not because of fatigue. I am still trying to figure out if everything that is happening to me is real. I find my head falling on my father. I feel a warm hand brush against my hair. A weak voice breaks the silence of the room.

"Hello son."

I look up at him and smile. "Hello dad."

"Such a beautiful day." His weak eyes glances around the room. I doubt he doesn't know where he is.

"So much for you and me versus the universe dad." My smile fades. We started saying that after Tyler died.

"I will always be in your heart son. Even though I won't be with you physically. Spiritually. I am not gone yet. It is still me and you against the universe." He looks up. "I have a ship I've actually been holding on for you for a while. Until you were ready."

Really?

"It is yours. If you can fix it." He continues.

"Boss of Bosses?" I asked. His ship. The Mark 7. He been flying that for years. It was what he crashed landed in the hanger.

I always wanted to be like my father. But this is different. This is his actual ship. But he is now giving it to me? It is now mine? Even if he does give me his ship. Is it able to even fly now? I saw it burn. It can't be mobile now?

He justs nods. He falls silent. Back to sleep. That scares me. Makes me wonder if he will ever wake up again.

My mother re-enters the room. I never knew she left. She holds my shoulders.

"Sweetheart, I believe it is best to let your father rest now. You can come back tomorrow."

I nod. I looked back at him and got up. Before I walked outside. I took a look at the clipboard.

Condition: Stable

I smile and walked out in the hall. While I walked the halls, I look out the windows. No real activity. Must of finished or been moved elsewhere. It's been 8 hours. I can see Small ships flying out there though. Most likely they are just cleaning up. Every battle has to be cleaned up of debree. Especially near Earth and home base. The debree leftover can cause serious damage.

On the way back to my room. I find Colonel Ghan talking to a lieutenant and a major. I reconigze the Lieutenant. He is in the same squadron as my father. Or was. I notice the numbers on his shirt. 728. Probably his hanger number. Some pilots wear their numbers so that people can report to them faster if they are needed.

Colonel Ghan turns around and spots me.

"O, hey Josh." He says. "I heard what happened. I am sorry."

"He is doing fine," I said. I look back at my father's wingmate. "What is going on?"

Colonel Ghan breaths in then back out. "Well, we won the fight. Most came back. Except one. Missing in Action. We have a rescue team looking for the pilot. Have you met Lieutenant Colons and Major Wrightman?"

Colons. That is his name.

"No I haven't." I shake their hands. Common courtesy. Learned from my father.

"They helped fly your father home. Your father was shot down by General Hanabel. Well severly damaged in combat.."

General Hanabel. The only General that actually flies. Known for his insane accuracy in combat. Some say he has a modded ship that helps him target. I find it dishonest. Having computers and programs do all the work for you while you sit in the cockpit.

I reply. "Thank you." I look at Major Wrightman who gives me a nod and Lieutenant Colons who says, "No problem."

I hear footsteps coming. I look back and see John. Looks like he made it back.

"Hello sir. We are back to Green Alert. No more Invaders in the zones according to the Control room." He glances at me but is quick to look back at the Colonel.

What is his problem with me.

"Thank you Major John." Colonel Ghan says. "And don't worry. I will find you a new recon pilot."

He nods and walks the other way.

New recon pilot?

"New recon pilot?" I ask. Confused.

Colonel Ghan looks back at me. "Yes, I am reassigning your mission."

Okay?

"That Shade Stalker is yours to keep," He continues. "but I am putting you in Squadron 21."