Reaction score
Server
Korell
Main Pilotname
Counter
Rank
Hallo,

Ich würde gerne ein paar Technische Fragen zum Client stellen ;

1. Aus welchen Grund nutzt der Client noch die Java 8u25 ,ist die nicht mittlerweile 5 Jahre alt ?

2. Der Client ist nur mit Java 32 bit kompatibel , warum nicht mit Java 64 bit =? , in dem Fall würde man
doch viel mehr an Leistung aus dem Client rausholen oder etwa nicht =?

3. Wird man in Zukunft weiterhin auf Java setzen ?

3.1 Wäre es nicht sinnvoller auf c++ umzusteigen ,da sich mehr Möglichkeiten bieten was Leistung und Grafik angeht ( z.B UE4 ) oder ist es Technisch nicht möglich `?

HGus

Reaction score
Server
Aeria
Main Pilotname
HGus
Raienryuo said:
Hallo,

Hallo, sorry I don't speak german and I guess the automatic translator is not so good for this.
1. Aus welchen Grund nutzt der Client noch die Java 8u25 ,ist die nicht mittlerweile 5 Jahre alt ?
The client is shipped with the jvm used for testing, which is in de "jvm" folder under the installation directory.
Actually, it only needs any jvm 6 or better, see in "launcher.log"

Code:
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [b.a-1]  INFO   --- starting application --- 
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [c.a-1]  INFO  needs minimum JVM version: 1.6
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [c.a-1]  INFO  found running JVM version: 1.8.0_221
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [c.a-1]  INFO  JVM version requirements matched, use running JVM..
2. Der Client ist nur mit Java 32 bit kompatibel , warum nicht mit Java 64 bit =? , in dem Fall würde man
If you want to use the jvm already installed on your system, even 64 bits, just delete that "jvm" folder, and the game automatically will use any global java installation, if it exists.
Look at my "launcher.log" again:
Code:
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [f.a-1]  INFO  running application: ["C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_221\bin\javaw.exe", -classpath, "C:\Users\hgus\AppData\Roaming\Splitscreen Studios\Pirate Galaxy\gamedata\Pirate Galaxy\PirateGalaxy.jar" (I trimmed the line here)

Raienryuo

Reaction score
Server
Korell
Main Pilotname
Counter
Rank
HGus said:
Raienryuo said:
Hallo,

Hallo, sorry I don't speak german and I guess the automatic translator is not so good for this.
Hi Hgus ,
nice to see that people with different languages help each other, ty ^^
( my english is not so good , but i try my best )

HGus said:
Raienryuo said:
The client is shipped with the jvm used for testing, which is in de "jvm" folder under the installation directory.
Actually, it only needs any jvm 6 or better, see in "launcher.log"

Code:
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [b.a-1]  INFO   --- starting application --- 
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [c.a-1]  INFO  needs minimum JVM version: 1.6
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [c.a-1]  INFO  found running JVM version: 1.8.0_221
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [c.a-1]  INFO  JVM version requirements matched, use running JVM..
that means , u dont need Java installed because its already shipped with the PG client and u only need to launch the game and play .. now i understand why they do that

HGus said:
Raienryuo said:
If you want to use the jvm already installed on your system, even 64 bits, just delete that "jvm" folder, and the game automatically will use any global java installation, if it exists.
Look at my "launcher.log" again:

Code:
2019-07-23 19:33:14,722  [f.a-1]  INFO  running application: ["C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_221\bin\javaw.exe", -classpath, "C:\Users\hgus\AppData\Roaming\Splitscreen Studios\Pirate Galaxy\gamedata\Pirate Galaxy\PirateGalaxy.jar" (I trimmed the line here)
If I had found ur solution earlier, I wouldn't have spent many hours yesterday to bringing the client to work with the 64 bits :/ .

What i tried ;
-deleting the Jvm folder from game path and replacing it with the jvm 64 bits files -> Error Message
-using different versions from java -> Error Message
-delete the whole PG path -> No error Message ;D ,but game won´t open xd( I was frustrated )
( Big Thanks Hgus )

Question : Do u see any difference in terms of Performance/Stability beetween JVM 32 bits and 64 bits =?

Highway

Splitscreen Studios
Reaction score
thanks for trying to help & explain it HGus even if the questions where not in your native language. Great to see that :!:

We use java 1.8.25 since that was the version that was bundled with the latest game launcher/client. So its correct that you don't need to have installed java anymore at all. Its also a downsized distribution so the download is smaller and its easier for the user to start the game, instead of installing java etc. Its an 32Bit version because under the hood the rendering engine is running on native c++ which is controlled by java. Since the native engine is only working in 32bit it is not compatible to work with 64bit Java. Still using 64bit java would not make any difference in performance for our games.

There will be soon a new game launcer/client that will be bundled with a current java 1.8 version so that fixes are applied which can increase stability and performance. We will post an announcement when it is ready.

Raienryuo

Reaction score
Server
Korell
Main Pilotname
Counter
Rank
Highway said:
thanks for trying to help & explain it HGus even if the questions where not in your native language. Great to see that :!:

We use java 1.8.25 since that was the version that was bundled with the latest game launcher/client. So its correct that you don't need to have installed java anymore at all. Its also a downsized distribution so the download is smaller and its easier for the user to start the game, instead of installing java etc. Its an 32Bit version because under the hood the rendering engine is running on native c++ which is controlled by java. Since the native engine is only working in 32bit it is not compatible to work with 64bit Java. Still using 64bit java would not make any difference in performance for our games.

There will be soon a new game launcer/client that will be bundled with a current java 1.8 version so that fixes are applied which can increase stability and performance. We will post an announcement when it is ready.
That answered all the questions I asked , ty Highway :D
@HGus : thank you also for your help , especially with the Java problem :D

HGus

Reaction score
Server
Aeria
Main Pilotname
HGus
Raienryuo said:
If I had found ur solution earlier, I wouldn't have spent many hours yesterday to bringing the client to work with the 64 bits :/ .

What i tried ;
-deleting the Jvm folder from game path and replacing it with the jvm 64 bits files -> Error Message
-delete the whole PG path -> No error Message ;D ,but game won´t open xd( I was frustrated )
( Big Thanks Hgus )

Question : Do u see any difference in terms of Performance/Stability beetween JVM 32 bits and 64 bits =?
Bitteschön.
Just delete the "jvm" folder inside the game path, and the client automatically will use the global installation of Java, you don't need to replace that folder, just delete it.

I play usually in 2 machines. An old Sempron with Windows 7 32bits that obviously only runs Java 32 bits, and a relatively new PC with Windows X 64bits with Java 64bits. I guess the OS automatically choses the wrapper to the 64bits drivers for DirectX, which is the engine that the game uses to render the graphics outside Java.

Raienryuo

Reaction score
Server
Korell
Main Pilotname
Counter
Rank
HGus said:
Raienryuo said:

What i tried ;
( Big Thanks Hgus )

Bitteschön.
Just delete the "jvm" folder inside the game path, and the client automatically will use the global installation of Java, you don't need to replace that folder, just delete it.

I play usually in 2 machines. An old Sempron with Windows 7 32bits that obviously only runs Java 32 bits, and a relatively new PC with Windows X 64bits with Java 64bits. I guess the OS automatically choses the wrapper to the 64bits drivers for DirectX, which is the engine that the game uses to render the graphics outside Java.

The steps I listed above were before I created this Thread . so y everthing is fine :)

The Launcher is only compatible with Java 32bit ( see Highway´s posts ) ,down below u can see my error message , if I try launching the Launcher with java 64bit ( makes sense now, why it didn´t work )

The method u mentioned ( deleting the jvm folder ) only works with java 32 bit .

2.PNG

HGus

Reaction score
Server
Aeria
Main Pilotname
HGus
Ok. maybe I have an hybrid (32+64) java installation, I should check.

You can get back that jvm folder just by reinstalling the game, don't worry, personal data is not lost.